At Game Dev we teach you how to code video games from scratch. If you're new to coding, learning Processing in class, or want to start making games, you're in the right place! We have a variety of lessons merging practical coding that expands on the ICS2O course with the unique perspective of Game Development. Where other courses teach how to code, we explore what you can create with basic coding skills. Hover over the links to preview our lesson topics. Computer lab rules apply, so no food is allowed. We suggest having lunch before coming to our lessons.
Come to the Dojo, Room 222, Thursdays at 11:45!
Disclaimer: We provide code for demonstration and educational purposes. Do not copy our code for use in school assessments, especially when it goes beyond the scope of your class. We may use advanced techniques in our lessons and will clearly mark when we do. It is up to you to use your discretion keeping in mind that they are fully aware of these materials. When in doubt, ask your teacher. Their word is final.
Read these - it's dangerous to go alone. Check the speaker notes for extra content!
Season 4 (ISP Workshops - Summer Series) - Hone the skills needed to craft your ISP with special Live Workshops.
- Lesson 17 (2018-04-25) - Graphics and Animation
- Lesson 18 (2018-05-02) - Intuitive Input (UI Part 2)
- Lesson 19 (2018-05-09) - Java GUI
- Lesson 20 (2018-05-16) - The Art of Debugging (Part 2)
- Lesson 21 (2018-05-23) - Images, Fonts, and Files
Season 3 (The Caves) - Delve deeper into more advanced topics. Welcome back, to The Caves.
- Lesson 12 (2018-02-14) - Scrolling and Screenshake
- Lesson 13 (2018-02-28) - For Loops and Colors
- Lesson 14 (2018-03-06) - Timers and Bars (UI Part 1)
- Lesson 15 (2018-03-28) - Functions and Combat Systems
- Lesson 16 (2018-04-04) - Artificial Intelligence
Season 2 (ISP Workshops - Winter Series) - Learn how to put your know-how to use in practical projects.
- Lesson 6 (2018-11-22) - Making Pong and Keyboard Input
- Lesson 7 (2018-11-29) - The Art of Debugging
- Lesson 8 (2018-12-06) - Coding Style and Organization
- Lesson 9 (2018-12-13) - States and Menus
- Lesson 10 (2018-12-20) - Arrays and File IO
- Lesson 11 (2019-01-16) - The ICS2O Exam
Season 1 (The Basics) - Get started with key coding concepts and the Processing IDE.
- Lesson 1 (2018-10-11) - Intro and Variables
- Lesson 2 (2018-10-18) - Mouse Input
- Lesson 3 (2018-11-01) - Random() and Visuals
- Lesson 4 (2018-11-08) - Leveling Up (Conditionals Part 1)
- Lesson 5 (2018-11-15) - Collisions (Conditionals Part 2)
ninja Lyons who make Game Dev possible.
- Valentina Krasteva (Teacher Supervisor)
- Lev Raisman (Supervisor and CPT President)
- Andy Pham (Branch Head)
- Dereck Tu (Teacher)
- Dereck Zhang (Teacher)
- Catherine Huang (Assistant Teacher)
- Sophie Lan (Assistant Teacher)
- Marina Semenova (Training Executive)
- Megan Holmes (Training Executive)
Extra content that we don't teach at meetings.
The Dark Ages - (Junior 2017-2018) - Brush off the dust with lessons matching the old ICS2O curriculum. Coming soon...
The Dark Ages (Game Dev 2017-2018) - Satisfy your morbid curiosity with Turing Lessons from Game Dev's conception.
- Lesson 1 (2018-03-02) - Intro to Real-Time Games
- Lesson 2 (2018-03-09) - Adding Realism
- Lesson 2.5 (2018-04-06) - Level Up
- Lesson 3 (2018-04-06) - Collisions
- Lesson 4 (2018-04-12) - Advanced Visuals
- Lesson 5 (2018-04-19) - Scrolling
- Lesson 6 (2018-04-27) - Objects
- Lesson 7 (2018-05-04) - Tiles
- Lesson 8 (2018-05-18) - Game AI
Game Dev Recommends - Dive into where we learn how to make games and what we use to make them, with our favorite resources from across the Internet.
- Blogs and Lessons
- YouTube Channels
- Game Resources
- Development Tools
Game Dev Web Exclusives - Coming soon...