If you're new to coding, learning Processing in class, or want to start making games, you're in the right place!
At Game Dev we teach you how to code video games from scratch. We have a variety of lessons merging practical coding that expands on the ICS2O course with the unique perspective of Game Development. Where other courses teach how to code, we go further and explore what you can create with basic coding skills. Hover over the links to preview our lesson topics.
Game Dev was founded by Andy Pham, Derek Zhang, and Dereck Tu.
Disclaimer: We provide code to demonstrate and educate. Do not copy our code for use in school assessments, especially when it goes beyond the scope of your class. We may use advanced techniques in our lessons and will clearly mark when we do. It is up to you to use your discretion. When in doubt, ask your teacher. Keep in mind that they are fully aware of these materials. Their word is final.
- Season 1
- Lesson 0: (2019-09-30) - Information Session
- Lesson 1: (2019-10-09) - Intro to Game Dev
- Lesson 2: (2019-10-17) - Mouse Input
- Lesson 3: (2019-11-06) - Keyboard Input Workshop
- Lesson 4: (2019-11-14) - Conditionals!
- Lesson 5: (2019-11-21) - Collisions
- Lesson 6: (2019-12-05) - Pong Workshop!
- Lesson 7: (2019-12-12) - States & Menus
- Lesson 8: (2019-12-19) - ISP Tricks
- Lesson 9: (2020-01-16) - Scrolling & Screenshake
- Season 2
- Lesson 10: (2020-02-12) - Timers & UI
O, Brave New World (2018-2019) - Brush off the dust with lessons from when we switched to Processing.
- Season 1 (The Basics) - Get started with key coding concepts and the Processing IDE.
- Season 2 (ISP Workshops - Winter Series) - Learn how to put your know-how to use in practical projects.
- Season 3 (The Caves) - Delve deeper into more advanced topics. Welcome back, to The Caves.
- Lesson 12 (2019-02-14) - Scrolling and Screenshake
- Lesson 13 (2019-02-28) - For Loops and Colors
- Lesson 14 (2019-03-06) - Timers and Bars (UI Part 1)
- Lesson 15 (2019-03-28) - Functions and Combat Systems
- Lesson 16 (2019-04-04) - Artificial Intelligence
- Lesson 17 (2019-04-25) - Graphics and Animation
The Dark Ages (2017-2018) - Satisfy your morbid curiosity with Turing Lessons from Game Dev's conception.
- Lesson 1 (2018-03-02) - Intro to Real-Time Games
- Lesson 2 (2018-03-09) - Adding Realism
- Lesson 2.5 (2018-04-06) - Level Up
- Lesson 3 (2018-04-06) - Collisions
- Lesson 4 (2018-04-12) - Advanced Visuals
- Lesson 5 (2018-04-19) - Scrolling
- Lesson 6 (2018-04-27) - Objects
- Lesson 7 (2018-05-04) - Tiles
- Lesson 8 (2018-05-18) - Game AI
Dive into where we learn how to make games and what we use to make them, with our favorite resources from across the Internet.
- Blogs and Lessons
- YouTube Channels
- Game Resources
- Development Tools